Each year National Championships are held around Australia in the following categories:
- Under 16 Men/Women
- Under 18 Men/Women
- Under 23 Men/Women
- Open Men/Women.
- Additional National Events include U14’s Regional and International Friendship Series.
Each year, umpires can nominate their availability for consideration for national appointment by completing the application form as outlined below.
This process is to be completed if you wish to attend in the following roles:
- Nationally accredited umpire (currently level 5 or higher)
- State accredited umpire (currently level 2 or higher)
- Candidate umpire (currently a level 4 or 5)
2021 Summer of Softball events
Softball Australia is calling for umpire applications for the upcoming 2021 Summer of Softball events being held in December 2020 and January 2021.
|Open Men’s National Championship||1st-6th December 2020||Hawker (ACT)|
|U23 Women’s National Championship||16th-22nd December 2020||Adelaide (SA)|
|Open Women’s National Championships
U14 Boys & Girls National Championships*
|3rd-9th January 2021||Hawker (ACT)|
|U16 Men’s & Women’s National Championships**
U23 Men’s National Championship
|10th-16th January 2021||Waverley (VIC)|
|U18 Men’s & Women’s National Championships||17th-23rd January 2021||Perth (WA)|
|Australian Pacific Cup ***||End January 2021||TBC|
|Summer Slam ***||End January 2021||TBC|
*Level 2-4 Umpires are encouraged to apply for U14 National Championships.
**Level 4-8 Umpires shall be appointed to National Championships – U16 and older.
***Only Level 5-8 Umpires are eligible to apply for these Events.
NB: Exceptions may apply.
Event dates are correct at the time of applications opening. Softball Australia reserves the right to adjust dates due to the ever changing environment of COVID-19.
- Umpires are requested to advise availability:
- The number of weeks in December
- The number of weeks in January
- The total number of weeks for both December and January if applicable.
- Umpires will NOT be required to nominate the Championship they prefer, and appointments will be made based on the umpire’s level, experience and the requirements for the Championship(s).
- We understand some umpires may not be available for a particular week in January and we ask you provide this information, with explanation in the comment section of the application.
Umpires must complete the online application form by 5:00pm Friday 5 June 2020.
Prior to commencing your application please ensure you have the following information ready:
- Updated activity diary (1st May 2019 – 30th April 2020)
- Development plan (if you intend to present as a candidate)
- Medical Information
- Working With Children Check
- Play by the Rules (Child Protection & Harassment – if expired)
- Profile Photo
Please note the profile photo requirements are:
- Current white travel shirt (or blue on-diamond shirt if you do not have a travel shirt)
- No hat/cap
- Outside in front of some green foliage
- Photo taken from chest up, with some space above your head to allow for program specifications
Once all applications have been received by Softball Australia, all applications will be sent to the State Directors of Umpiring (SDU’s) for approval, then the NUC Executive will determine the 2021 Summer of Softball Appointments.
It is planned to announce the appointments of the 2021 Summer of Softball Series by early-September 2020.
Softball Australia and NUC Executive are currently in negotiations around the levy cost for attending the 2021 Summer of Softball events. Due to COVID-19 we are unsure what impact it will have on airline and accommodation requirements and the subsequent cost impact.
Softball Australia have confirmed that the levy will be no higher than that of 2020 Nationals of $480.
Each umpire will pay only once (1) regardless of the number of events to which the umpire is appointed.
Please contact your SDU for more information about your application to the 2021 Summer of Softball.
Umpire Activity Log
An electronic Umpire Activity Log has been developed and is available for immediate use. When applying for National appointments, submission of Umpire Activity Logs will only be accepted using this tool. Any umpire who has been using their own Excel spreadsheet can, with a little knowledge and care, copy and paste the relevant columns.
- Application Form for a Permit to Officiate Overseas (form 1-4a)
National Championship Umpire Guide
A booklet has been created to provide umpires with information on what to expect when attending an Australian National Championship
Australian Softball Umpire Development Program
To assist aspiring National umpires on their quest for International certification, the Australian Development Program has been devised. Criteria and application form below.
Liaison Officers booklet
A booklet created to assist Liaison Officers appointed to Australian National Championships