Softball Australia has called for expressions of interest from the Australian Men’s Coaching Panel for the positions of:
- Head Coach – Aussie Steelers (Australian Open Men’s team)
- Head Coach – Australian U23 Men’s team
Softball Australia is also calling for expressions of interest from coaches outside of the Panel, to join the Australian Men’s Coaching Panel and, if interested, apply for the available Head Coach positions.
The Head Coach position for the Aussie Steelers will be an appointment for the 2021 WBSC Men’s Softball World Cup, to be held in New Zealand, expected to be in March 2021.
The Head Coach position for the Australian U23 Men’s team is a newly created position. The WBSC announced earlier this year that an U23 Men’s World Cup would be played for the first time in 2021 and the Softball Australia Board recently approved for Australia to send a team to this event. We have not been advised by the WBSC of the dates or location for this event, however there has been discussion that the event may be played in Argentina in the second half of 2021.
Softball Australia is calling for expressions of interest from coaches outside of the Panel, to join the Australian Men’s Coaching Panel and, if interested, apply for the available Head Coach positions.
In addition to the Head Coach positions, opportunities exist for assistant coaches and specialist coaches, including battery, offensive and defensive coaches.
The benefits of the Australian Men’s Coaching Panel are:
- Development of a greater number of potential elite men’s coaches
- Opportunity to upskill and develop coaches in specific areas
- More nationally aligned coaches recruited and working within the daily training environment at state level, delivering nationally aligned training for athletes
- Greater levels of athlete monitoring and reporting and individual performance plan supervision and mentoring
- The opportunity for the program Head Coach and Softball Australia High Performance team to select tour coaching staff from the national coaching pool, aligning specific coaching skills to the tour/event requirement
- During a tour the Head Coach may appoint others to the role for specific games or pre-event tours to provide development and experience opportunities
- In some instances the program Head Coach may attend events/tours as a coaching mentor while providing the opportunity for others to fill the Head Coach position on a short term basis
- Succession planning in the appointment of national team Head Coaches
Those who are appointed to the panel may have the opportunity to work in the Aussie Steelers, Junior Steelers and Australian U23 Men’s national team programs, including the following:
- 2021 WBSC Men’s Softball World Cup
- 2021 WBSC U23 Men’s Softball World Cup
- 2022 WBSC Junior Men’s Softball World Cup
- Other international tours
- Other domestic events and camps for both programs
To apply for the Australian Men’s Coaching Panel, a minimum of Level 3 coaching accreditation is required and the Position Application Form must be completed.
Applications must be sent to National Events Manager, Shane Cantelmi via email to [email protected] no later than Wednesday 22 January 2020.
Those wishing to apply for either of the Head Coach positions require a minimum of Level 4 coaching accreditation and must do the following:
- Advise by email at the time of applying of which Head Coach position they are applying for
- Provide an outline of their plan for the team from now until the end of the relevant World Cup, with training and competition program including objectives and timeframes
- Details of their preferred team official composition (eg. 2 Assistant Coaches, Video Analyst etc), keeping in mind the current stipulations in place as per Section 11 of the Australian Teams Policy and Procedures
In compiling an application, please be aware of the following confirmed and proposed dates for future national events.
- 2020 Open Men’s National Championship – 12-18 January 2020, Hawker, ACT
- 2020 U23 Men’s National Championship – 5-11 July 2020, Redlands, Qld
Proposed events (subject to change)
- 2021 Open Men’s National Championship – 1-6 December 2020 (venue TBC)
- 2021 U23 Men’s National Championship – 29 March to 4 April 2021 (venue TBC)
It is anticipated that interviews for both positions will be conducted in late January.
If you have any questions, please contact Shane Cantelmi on 03 9417 0022 (ext 110).
Applications are due to be submitted by Wednesday 22 January 2020.